Friday 10 August 2012

Currently watching: Beautiful Rain

This season's tragic tale of cruel fate concerns a family (just a father and his eight-year-old daughter) and what happens to them when he discovers he has early onset Alzheimer's disease. It affects his work, his relationships and, most of all, it scares him that in the end he won't even be able to recognise his own daughter.


It stars Ashida Mana as the plucky, spirited daughter who doesn't quite understand what's going on, but tries her best to help. Toyokawa Etsushi is the tough, factory worker dad who now has to ask for help from others. Nakatani Miki also stars, and it's nice to see her being normal for a change. She's the bosses daughter who turns up one day and won't explain why she's left her husband.


So it's all about secrets and how keeping them can lead to hurt feelings. It's entertaining, and well acted. Whether you like it depends on whether you enjoy dramas that are overtly emotional at any opportunity.


I'm up to episode four, and there's already been quite a lot of crying. I wonder what the big emotional finale might be since, unless they really speed up the progress of the disease, it'll still be in the early stages by the end of the series.

3 comments:

  1. I don't know where to get my Jdrama fix from anymore T_T

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a bit thin on the ground at the moment. I mean, I'm not watching much but also I don't feel like I'm missing much either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All the jdrama communities in LJ are pretty much dead. It's like... they're all scattered. I know people watch streams now, but it always reminds me of that "support subbers don't watch streams" notes xD

      Delete