Wednesday 6 July 2011

Just Watched: Index Finger

I got back from work today after a day in which I barely spoke to anyone, but that was fine, and I was feeling a bit lifeless, as if I was made out of wet cardboard. I couldn’t be bothered to cook, so I made rice and poured cold curry sauce on top and ate that. Not exactly graceful living.

Then I found that Raspberry Field have released a new single, accompanied by a short film on YouTube. And it had English subtitles! Maybe this’ll cheer me up, I thought.











The film is barely ten minutes long, and is set on a flat rooftop. Two people, a man and a woman, have an unremarkable conversation about each others’ relationships, and then one of them leaves. The important part seemed to be the low concrete wall the divides the roof in half. She can’t bring herself to step across it, although she wants to. Meanwhile he can cross it, but only when she’s gone.

It’s not the most original metaphor ever, but it fits in naturally with the location, and it isn’t overdone. The acting is fine, and the dialogue is exactly the kind of sweet teasing you get from two people who ought to be in a relationship but don’t know it.

And it did cheer me up. At least, I felt like I was made of slightly drier cardboard. And the single is lovely.

No comments:

Post a Comment