Sunday 9 September 2012

Still watching: Tokkan

In between work and play and sleep, I have little time for any TV these days, so the only show I'm devoted to is the one that I'm doing the subtitles for on d-addicts, Tokkan.

And luckily, I'm enjoying it a lot. It's still funny and it's still informative. I have started wondering, though, if it was commissioned because someone at NTV saw the perilous state of the Japanese economy and wondered if maybe it was time that tax collectors were made to look less... unpleasant.


Some of the solutions to the crimes are quite smart. I was a little disappointed that the story regarding a hostess bar manageress, a politician and some unpaid taxes would last the whole series, but instead it was over by episode for. And the ending of that sub-plot was a bit of a disappointment, as the writers couldn't bring themselves to make the villains really villainous after all.

Inoue Mao remains the main attraction of the show, being convincingly awkward and clumsy, while the rest of the cast are all excellent. At the end of episode seven, another sub-plot has just been tied up, so I'm curious at to what happens next. Plus, sometimes it's quite nicely filmed. I liked the shot above so much that I downloaded the HD version, got a screengrab and now it's my wallpaper.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you very much for subbing Tokkan.
    Merci

    ReplyDelete