Saturday 20 February 2010

Just finished: Liar Game 2


This techno-driven semi-surreal drama closes on a cliffhanger for the forthcoming film. With this in mind, it could hardly have a satisfying ending, but even a fan like me felt a little disappointed about the way things wound up.

The final two games were beaten mostly by manipulating people rather than probabilities and so didn’t offer the same level of geeky joy as series one. Plus, I’ll be honest, I had a hard time following the last game. I just let all the double-crossing wash over me while I watched the advantage swing back and forth. It was a little let down that the last game was won by exploiting a flaw in the game rather than exploiting the game itself but I suppose there’s only a limited number of mathematical theories that lend themselves to storytelling.

On the other hand, it is very addictive and I watched the last three episodes in one evening because I had to see what happens next. Luckily, the final chapter Liar Game: Final Stage is released in Japanese cinemas while I’m actually in the country! While I’m tempted to go, my Japanese is nowhere near good enough to follow the storyline. The best I could hope for is to watch people getting happy, then angry and then happy again, and try to work out why.

No comments:

Post a Comment