Tuesday 2 March 2010

Art

That's what this blog needs: a bit of art.

Got hopelessly lost in Osaka today trying to find Den Den Town (described in the travel guide as a seedy, retro entertainment spot) and while heading along a main road I saw a sign advertising an art gallery down a side street. It was called "gallery maggot" which didn't inspire confidence, but I thought I had nothing to lose by just popping in.

The gallery was just a single room on the seventh floor (the lift only went up to six, and I wondered if the advert wasn't some situationist prank to get people to come in and then get lost or confused when there was never a gallery at all) and it was full of large black and white prints of Japanese city life from the past thirty years. It was a bit of a lucky find, as they were in turns beautiful and funny and poignant. I bought the book (which I don't have with me just now so I can't actually tell you the photgrapher's name!) and a couple of postcards.

As an idea, I also took a couple of snaps of pictures from the book, so you can see what I'm talking about.

No comments:

Post a Comment