Wednesday 12 December 2012

Currently watching: Koukou Nyuushi

Ever since I worked with Nagasawa Masami on Toshi Densetsu no Onna, I feel like we've got a special bond. A totally fictional and made-up one, especially since we never actually worked together, but even so: a very special bond.

So it's a bit of a mystery as to why it's taken me so long to sit down and watch this drama. I watched episode one a few weeks ago and didn't think much of it. It seemed to be quite a bland drama set in a school. However, today I noticed that Koukou Nyuushi's TV ratings have stayed strong, while most other dramas this season have struggled. I thought "They can't all be looking at Masami's legs," so I sat down to give it another go.


I can't explain my initial reaction – perhaps I wasn't paying attention – but this time round it seemed to click. The storyline is simple: the all-important school entrance exams are coming up, but there are plans to sabotage them. But by who and how? And can the teachers stop them? This is the central mystery of the drama.


The drama is shot in an interesting style. Quite bland and uninteresting at first, but every now and again the director adds a little horror movie-style camera angle. Just enough to heighten the tension, and the soundtrack, too, is excellent. And after the slow start, where everyone's characters are set up, the story moves on at quite a quick pace and is quite addictive. I'm halfway through, and so far it's been very enjoyable.

3 comments:

  1. Damn! I saw ep 1 and decided to drop it, but reading your assesment, I just might continue watching. will give ep 2 a go then.
    Off topic: just watched Hitori Shizuka ep 5, and this will be THE best series this season!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When you consider that the story puts no one in danger, I'm surprised how tense this gets sometimes. Probably the music, but also I've always found empty schools to be quite sinister.

    ReplyDelete
  3. on peut le voir en vostfr?

    ReplyDelete