Tuesday 20 July 2010

Currently watching: Hammer Session!



This one almost completely passed me by. Despite having a well-known cast (Shida Mirai (Seigi no Mikata), Hayami Mokomichi (Zettai Kareshi) and Kohinata Fumiyo (Ashita no Kita Yoshio)) I hadn't really paid it much attention when reading about forth-coming series. In fact the only reason I downloaded it is because someone on d-addicts said their girlfriend did the subs to practice her English and I wanted to see if the subs were any good. Turns out they were.

This is the tale of a con man, “Otowa Yonko”, who is helped by a headmaster of a school to evade the police in return for being a teacher at his school where the headmaster thinks Otowa's skills of manipulation can bring order to an unruly class. And that's pretty much how the first episode plays out. The storyline is engaging and it was quite a relief to see that Hayami Mokomichi can act. He wasn't terribly good in Densha Otoko, and as a robot in Zettai Kareshi he didn't have any emotions to display. When I saw him as the lead character I did wonder if he could carry it off, but luckily he has enough charm and humour to steal most scenes he's in.

So that's good. An interesting idea, with a strong cast and a lot of potential. I don't know if that person's girlfriend feels she needs enough practice to sub the whole series (her English already seems pretty good), but I'll be looking out for future episodes, whoever picks them up.

No comments:

Post a Comment