Friday 13 April 2012

Still watching: Scent of a Woman


When I was a teenager, I had the typical mid-puberty attacks of self-pity. When I felt that things weren't going right, I'd run upstairs, throw myself face-down on the bed and imagine how unhappy everyone would be if I died, and also I'd think about how lots of bad things would happen to me, but I'd still be positive and happy which would make everyone else even more sorry that they ever did anything to upset me.

I think that the writer of this did exactly the same thing except that they wrote everything down and, years later, turned it into a sixteen-part TV drama. But at least all these terrible things don't all happen to one person, but are shared around the characters. This means that everyone has one secret that they can rely on for sympathy from the viewers.

This writing style is very manipulative, plus the story relies heavily on coincidence and clichés and misunderstandings, so why am I still watching? Well, Kim Sun Ah is a major plus, and also the male lead (played by Lee Dong Wook) has turned out to be more enjoyable than I'd feared.


Last night I got to the episode where the secret about Lee Yeon Jae's (Kim Sun Ah) terminal cancer has just been revealed to her boyfriend, so now I expect the show will go from romance to tragedy. How it handles this transition remains to be seen.

No comments:

Post a Comment