Friday 15 October 2010

Just finished: Unubore Deka

 









This is bordering on genius. What could've been a predictable format (every week police detective falls in love with woman who turns out to be the criminal) turned into a cleverly written series, with each episode building on the initial idea in an original and unexpected way. This way, it never got tired or ordinary and stayed fresh to the end.

Add to this an intriguing overall story concerning Unubore and the woman who broke his heart, and I'd say this show had more laugh out loud moments than any other J-comedy I've seen in a while, mixing broad physical humour with sharp dialogue and it had some great performances. I loved this, and now all that's left is for me to try and track down Nagase Tomoya's previous role in a similar style, Tiger & Dragon...

4 comments:

  1. Hi, I hopped over from d-addicts. :D

    It's so nice to hear people giving Unubore Deka a chance and enjoying it, too! It seems many were disheartened by the first episode (something I don't understand at all) and it's really a shame! Are you familiar with the writer, Kudo Kankuro's other works? I loved Unubore Deka, but in my opinion, Tiger & Dragon and Kisarazu Cat's Eye are even better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment. I hadn't realised that about episode one, but I had a quick look on the ratings (Kawaii Joyuu carries them) and you're right, there was a big drop between the first and second episodes.

    They don't know what they're missing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have actually stopped watching. I'm not sure if it's the whole "waiting for the hardsubs" to come out - I know there are softsubs - dunno if they're the same level of subs since no one is commenting on them. But I made it to ep07 xD - it's... I dunno, I got bored.

    I made a mental note to get the Tokyo nanana theme and Mika Nakashima's ichiban kirei na song xD

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know what it was, but I seemed to find everything funny with this. Such as having Ikuta Toma acting out the detective's role in the TV series and then, later, also the detective's role in flashback sequences.

    I rate the softsubs pretty highly. I only saw ep 1 hardubbed so I can't really compare them, though.

    ReplyDelete